Faith in word and deed | God's glory, our delight (episode 166)Sep 12, 2022
An invitation to delight in the glory of God today and every day
"God's glory, our delight" is Stephanie's personal motto. In the spring, with episodes 146 through to 155, we entered into the deep waters of defining the glory of God and the quest of our hearts. Now with the second half of the series, we are going to the more practical side of delight. Stephanie invites us to ponder two illustrations to help us wrap our minds around the scope of our ambition to make the glory of God the delight of our heart. She quotes one of her favorite authors and theologians, Andrew Murray: “Humility is simply the disposition which prepares the soul for living on trust.”
Stephanie says, "The Christian life is about growing in our experience of what we know to be true." She adds, "The glory IS there, and it IS real, and it IS delightful." She brings us back to Andrew Murray: “Faith is the organ or sense for the perception and apprehension of the heavenly world and its blessings.” Finally, she invites us to wonder: "how can we live a life that is the practical application of this objective reality?"
Let's be practical...
- Reminder – there are listening guides for each episode. They allow you to follow with pen and paper, or with your phone to take notes from the app. These listening guides are part of the workbook you can download for free as a member.
- Today and each GGOD episode has a listening guide as well as questions for either group discussions or your own personal time, inviting you to ponder what you heard in the days to come.
- Today we are introducing a new feature which is a listener suggestion: about halfway through the episode, there will be a 30-second musical interlude to allow you to pause and reflect on the lesson. You are also invited to use the second music break at the end of the episode, it is newly expanded, if you feel the need to chew on the lesson some more.
- Also use our membership page to muse, ask questions, ponder, reflect, connect with us!
- Please do remember that you can go back and listen again. We aim to give you the best quality content we can teach so it is intense and deep – that is because we highly respect you and your time, and we want to honor you as you seek to deepen your faith. There are all sorts of people listening alongside you, from overseas missionaries to seminary students to brand new believers, people listening as they drive or jog or run errands or do the dishes. So you are welcome, at whatever stage of your spiritual journey you find yourself in. If it means listening twice or taking notes using the listening guide, that’s awesome! Take it slow. These epsidoes are more akin to a slow cooked French meal than a McDonalds drive-thru!
- Finally, there will be a Gospel Spice online Bible Study starting in a few weeks – go to gospelspice.com for more. It is free, live, weekly for 6 weeks, and on a private Facebook group. Small scale. In depth. More details to come. Sign-up now.
- Also Sign-up for our newsletter so you know about those things before everyone else! This will also give you access to all our content for free, including a video version of this teaching. All in one easy place: https://www.gospelspice.com/sign-up-to-be-a-member
This week’s key verses are:
2Corinthians 4:7 - We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
John 5:44 - How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
Catch up with Stephanie's latest episodes on the Gospel Spice podcast!
Stay connected + receive a free, tasteful gift in your inbox each month.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.